Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Beat Goes On

It all started some 30 plus years ago when my oldest brother Ken, bitten by the music of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, divvied up instrument assignments between the rest of us - me (Gary), Daniel, and even our little brother Marc.   I think I was about 10 years old at the time which meant Marc was about 5 -and so yes, indeed he was "little."  

Early Gear
It seems that my father had brought along an old suffering acoustic guitar into the fray of things from his bachelor days past.  My father might have known a thing or two on the guitar but I don't remember him ever playing anything on it.  Ken sure picked up on it -self taught of course.  Before long, Ken was singing, playing and giving me and Danny guitar and singing lessons.   He showed us how to slow down recorded music and learn our parts by ear.   Meanwhile, Marc owned a toy drum kit and got his very first drum lesson from the kid next next door whom owned a motorcycle and a "real" drum kit.  

Some time later, with the financial and moral support of our parents, Ken and I received a couple of acoustic guitars.   Ken converted my dad's old guitar into an 4 string acoustic bass guitar.  I was tasked with rhythm guitar duties while Danny was given the converted bass guitar to play bass.  Ken picked up the lead guitar and lead vocals.  Danny and I sang mostly background harmony although like the Beatles, each of us learned a song or two where we each sang the lead. 

The four of us brothers never did think to include our sister Marianne in our newly formed band.  Unlike now, back then - it just wouldn't have been cool to have a girl in the band.  The Partridge Family had girls in the band my mother would argue but we DID NOT want to be like the Partridge Family.  Sorry Marianne and thanks for being our biggest fan for all of these years! 

Early Gear

1 comment:

  1. Marianne's got it in her to become a good lawyer; she's already carried her own crosses for the rights of others. You're on your way to sainthood sister(http://blessedmariannecope.org/), now go get that law degree and fight for God's people!

    ReplyDelete