Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pilgrimage Park

Creating and implementing a good system would be the key to success of my new start-up cleaning company, Prime Concern, Inc.  Keeping expenses low, I rented a 10'x10' windowless laundry closet in the prominently located Century Building (San Antonio,TX) and away I went. 

My favorite cleaning project involved the 1987 Papal visit to San Antonio, Texas. 


The head of the worldwide Roman Catholic Church was coming to my neck of the woods.  You could have even called me a fallen away Catholic but I was still elated.  I was selected to provide the cleaning services to the nearby RV park known as Pilgrimage Park.  Somehow I was inspired by Pope John Paul, II getting out and making the beat, and I was honored to serve travelers and pilgrims coming to see this man, the successor of St. Peter, although I didn't quite make that connection back then.


When it was all said and done, I had front row access to the packed papal mass although the RV camper turnout to Pilgrimage Park was just mediocre.  My staff and I kept the facility spic-n-span as agreed.   Regrettably, the check the promoter (Pilgrimage Park) wrote for payment bounced - I was able to scramble and get everyone paid anyway.

I charged a fair price and paid an above average hourly rate.  Within two years my accountant was congratulating me for being one of his youngest clients to have net sales receipts exceeding $250,000. 

Although I believed in taking care of the customer and employee alike,  at times, either the customer or the employee didn't always take care of me.  Clients would sometimes hire trained staff out from under me and the staff wouldn't always show up when they were scheduled for duty.  This left me to clean the house or lose the client and so I cleaned the house.  If I had understood "offering up" one's suffering I might have persevered a bit a longer but I was getting frustrated and burned-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment