Sunday, September 11, 2011

First Grade

I think many of us get stuck in the first grade when it comes to religious understanding.   I've seen the word 'God' used in the same breath as 'Tooth Fairy,' 'Santa Claus,' 'Boogie Monster,' etc; certainly characters common to the first grade imagination.  I'll give you another example; in response to a choir of prayers over the recent Texas drought, I read an adult's comment that we should unclasp our hands, stop praying to the ceiling, and get out and use our hands for something more productive.  


When I became an adult, I left my faith understanding in the first grade.  Instead of "see Dick and Jane run," to "see Dick and Jane run using muscles, tendons, and bones,"  to "see Dick and Jane run assisted by gravity, good nutrition, high tech running shoes" my faith IQ got stuck in "see Dick and Jane run" or as my brother likes to say: an appreciation akin to a red crayon picture of a heart with the word 'God' written in the middle. 


As an adult around other adults, I wanted to talk about 'higher minded' subjects and so naturally I would become uncomfortable talking about such 'elementary topics' as God, Mother Mary, and Jesus Christ.  Talking about positive mental attitude, new age practices, the infinite, omniscient power surrounding us, peace and love, now this was intellectually stimulating talk; talking about Christianity, well that was just plain simplemindedness.  


In the blindness of my ignorance were the multitudes of prominent institutions, worldwide Christian churches, and colleges on every continent that to this day still teach about the historical Jesus Christ who was proclaimed over 2000 years ago.   Could this all really have come about and sustained itself for so long without God really becoming man, dying, and then rising from the dead?  I haven't found a historically feasible alternate explanation for why Christianity exists today.  There are modern experts called apologists that can explain God's existence and Christianity much better than me and I am also discovering that much of the best writings were written in medieval times. 


Jesus Christ came to this earth as an infant having first to learn the basics, attaining elementary knowledge from Mary and Joseph during his adolescent years, acquiring woodworking and trade skills in his father's workshop, becoming educated in Jewish synagogues, and only then did he begin his public ministry. 


I realized too that along with fellow Christians worldwide, I am called to follow his lead.


I finally chose to get out of this first grade mentality.  I read more, interact with other members of my faith community, receive the sacraments more often, and defend the faith.  I have become more confident in living and proclaiming the Christian faith that we are all called to receive by our Creator.  


Regarding that "praying to the ceiling" comment, from the teachings of St. Thomas Aquinas, I have learned that something much more profound and life changing occurs during prayer and that praying is indeed our connection to the supernatural.


Although I am making every effort to personally grow in faith, hope, and love through reading, studying, and action, I take comfort in identifying myself with the very poor of the world whom suffer a lack of education, often beyond their circumstances, yet still celebrate in profound joy when a communion host is placed on their tongue or in the palm of their hand during mass.


If all else fails, rejoice in the teachings of Jesus Christ and his Apostles regarding the sufficiency of a "child like" faith; in this respect, a first grade understanding of faith is enough. 

1 comment:

  1. On God, Santa Claus and a Truly Scientific Approach to Faith:
    http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0407.htm

    ReplyDelete