Sunday, February 5, 2012

Practice, Perform, and Preach

If you're a baptized Christian, it's your obligation.


If you're Catholic, regardless of where you are in the world, this is what you heard at mass today during the second reading:


Brothers and sisters:

If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast,
for an obligation has been imposed on me,
and woe to me if I do not preach it!
If I do so willingly, I have a recompense,
but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship.
What then is my recompense?
That, when I preach,
I offer the gospel free of charge
so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

Although I am free in regard to all,
I have made myself a slave to all
so as to win over as many as possible.
To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak.
I have become all things to all, to save at least some.
All this I do for the sake of the gospel, 
so that I too may have a share in it.

 1 Cor 9:16-19, 22-23

Spreading the Good News is my obligation too and yet I'm provided infinite freedom in how to go about doing it but do it I must.


St. Paul provides prose, purpose, and proof to practice, perform, play, paint, providepicket, praise, post, promote, plant, profess, preach, pray, perhaps any number of other pursuits; however it is that you can 'get' to all people, even without profit, so as "to become all things to all, to save at least some."   Powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment