Saturday, April 27, 2019

Heart of Flesh

Hard-shelled like hard shellack, a hardened short 
Shackle so loosely but firmly surrounding 
This my heart of stone. If I should bemoan 
I don’t feel love, if I should mourn the lack of 

Union with my God, certainly I would 
Appeal to this lead weight, it’s several inches 
Thick, it encapsulates it; it’s wooden-like 
But a deadweight - a weight that suffocates. 

Wouldn’t it be better if it would just fall?
Peel off by layer, or better yet break; 
A barrier I would have severely 
Fashioned, clearly now, with sins of vices: 

Haughtiness and soaring pride; pushing my 
Way, ever my will at every turn! 
Ah the weight of it dear Lady of Montserrat.
I’m trapped, snatch me from this encampment of 

Concupiscence; this encasement of 
Irascibility: a double scourge of 
Kryptonite!  If it takes a whole life, 
From night to day, I’ll wait for this shield to 

Fall; to fall for good and finally reveal,
Dear Lady of Montserrat, 
A real soft beating, loving heart of flesh.

Gary Edward Geraci

No comments:

Post a Comment