Friday, May 13, 2011

Making It

Although we didn't have American Idol back then and MTV was still months away from its launch, an unexplainable connection to music had birthed in our souls.  It was fun, especially when it all came together and everybody had their part down.  Without a doubt, playing rock music in the early 80's took one's "coolness" up a notch or two with nearly all the diverse high school "cliques," or so I liked to believe.  

And so for a while, something about playing music together and hearing people come and say "I like that piece you just played" fused it in us all the more that there could really be something to this music thing.   

Yeah, we all wanted to "make it" in those days but for me, the doubts kept sinking in, I really didn't believe that I was good enough to "make it."    Despite having self rated "Music" as the sole "Top 1%" for Activities, Interests, Awards (the Admissions Testing Program of the College Board), I was suffering the gnawing feeling that I would have to do something else of importance with my life very soon.   

Probably after watching the movie Stripes, I had determined rather hastily and naively that a military career was going to be exactly how I was going to "make it."   High school graduation came May 1982 and in July of '82, I was already on my way to Fort Benning, Georgia.   
Gary Geraci serving in the US Army, 1982
During my first military leave, I was invited out to one of the Titans earliest shows on record, the famous Lago party.  I remember sitting in for a song or two and singing "Johnny Be Good."  Later that night, the band would introduce an original song that they had just written called  "Good F," a high school "anthem" of sorts among the band's rapidly growing number of fans . 
The Titans! Formative

No comments:

Post a Comment