Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Record Labels and Contracts


With the success of the '82 Lago show, brothers Ken and Daniel Geraci were now hard at work writing original music and honing their playing and singing talents.   Inspiration was flowing and a sense that this was no longer a hobby prevailed.  The major record labels still signed bands back then and to get signed, a band needed both talent and great "original" material.

Marc Geraci was now 12; the fire for drums burned ever brighter feeding a certain gift and talent for the kit.  He would take it up a notch, drumming twice a week in living room jam sessions that followed.  The vacancy of the rhythm guitar spot I had occupied was filled by several great musicians; mostly high school friends, work mates, etc.

After graduating 13 weeks of grueling military basic training, I too was on top of the world, for a short time anyway.  I found out that I could skip church, listen to what my mother called "devil" music (Black Sabbath), smoke cigarettesswear with the guys and all sorts of other "fun" things and not be struck by lightning or immediately cursed, so to speak. This new found freedom felt good but, looking back, I was both a product of the American pop culture of the day, impatient for acquiring what amounted to shallow happiness after short-lived happiness and a kid whom had developed a clouded vision of where true freedom really existed.

By the grace of God, my military career was cut short and I was honorably separated from my contract after just seven months of service, unharmed and with my whole life ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment