Tuesday, April 24, 2012

5. Joe Appraiser (A Worldly Kind of Guy)


(Original Text,  "Joe Appraiser on Easy Street" Posted in 2007 by Gary E. Geraci)

Like most in this profession, to make any money as an appraiser I take a bulk of assignments from lenders.

My job is simple.  I write glowing appraisal reports so that loans get approved.  Period.  I don’t worry about doing detailed inspections of the property and I don’t like to photograph things that could lower the value of the property or raise red flags with the lender’s underwriting department; things like cracked slabs, mold, etc.   Reporting things like that kills deals.  I don’t do detailed write ups either. Why bother?  It takes extra time and my client’s look at one thing and one thing only: the final appraised value.  To them, everything else in the report is regulatory boilerplate, fluff.

I keep friends with lenders, loan officers, mortgage brokers, and real estate agents.  I network within their circles, eat and drink well; slap backs, trade stories, and exchange numbers.  I am a go-to guy, the guy on the team that won’t hold things up.  I want to keep my friends happy because they send me lots of business.  More than I can handle.  I write 10 reports a week by myself.  At $250-$350 a pop you do the numbers.  I’ve even molded a couple of apprentices in the office to do another 15 reports a week.  We are in the business of producing “deal winning” reports within 48 hours.  In the fiercely competitive world of lending, killing deals only makes clients unhappy and sends them to the competition. 

Loan underwriters like me because I take the burden of risk off of their backs.  If a family needs money I am not going to write something up that kills their refinance deal.  On paper, any property can be made to look more valuable than it really is.  It doesn’t matter to me that the family might not make enough money to make the new mortgage payments.  At times, clients provide me recently sold, supportive “comparable” property information for use in my report.  I use these in my report to create value because its quick and it supports the value that my client needs to make the deal happen.   Should a deal go bad later, it’s not their back and very unlikely to be mine either.    

Real estate investors like me because I can salvage their deals.  Many “flippers” have gone over budget or have over improved a place beyond what the market is now willing to pay for the place.   Any naïve soul trying to buy the place at a price well above market value usually needs a bank loan to complete the purchase and that’s where I come in.  I’ll produce a reported property value that seals the bank deal.

Face it, today, an appraisal report is a commodity product, a quickly produced report that hits a predetermined collateral value and minimizes any property deficiencies.  The industry simply contracts out for this now, gets exactly what it wants, and yet still covers its own back in the process.  Most mortgage loans it takes in will be packaged into a security offering, moved out of the institution, and sold to the government and increasingly, private sector investors.  With the new influx of capital, the process repeats over and over again.

What’s the harm?  Technically and legally my value is just an “opinion” of value anyway.  If I don’t give a client exactly what he wants, all of the time, he simply finds another appraiser who will.  I don’t have a crystal ball but I know how the real estate business works.  In a few years the property will have appreciated, whether artificially or not, to a value high enough to cover my inflated value.  I don’t lose any sleep over these deals.


“We must always take sides.  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.  Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ---Elie Wiesel

No comments:

Post a Comment